Tuesday, August 10, 2010

An innocent comment by my cousin

"Sariiiiiiii..........", said my 11 year old cousin sister when I asked what her favorite dress was.

"And what about your friends?"

"I have lots of them!!". Ashish, Sanjay, Swati, Rahul, Priyanka,....She continued even before I could ask what their names were.

"And all of them are wary of me because I am the topper".

"Great!". "How much percentage did you get?", I asked.

"98.96."

I gawked. I could count on my fingers the number of times I had crossed the 90s in my academic career. This young child was getting 95 plus since she started attending school. And she was in Class 6th when I was speaking to her.

After treating her with a chocolate, we chatted a little more. She talked to me like a cute doll which she was.

Sometimes, I wonder how simple things make children so happy.

As I was about to return  from her place, I asked about whether she has friends in other sections.

"Yes, I have  many from other sections also."

"Okay."

"But no one from E section."

"Why?"

"Because the topper of that section has got only 92 percent marks." She said as a matter of fact.

I waved her good bye and returned. While returning, I was wondering what have we made of our young generation? Where are they going?

The craving for marks has reached unsurmountable levels. A maze so complex that it has gone beyond the comprehension of humans.

I was only imagining the poor plight of that 92% guy. To whom no one was ready to talk because he got only 92% marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment